Friday, April 16, 2010

Oh my Deer


White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) aren't anything new to many readers, especially where they've reached nearly plague proportions in some parts of the American suburbs. We've seen them become very common here in Gallon Jug, near the farm and in the pastures. In my backyard too, where these photos were taken. It seems to me that we've had similar population growth of pumas that prey on them near the farm as well.

The twins poked their noses out at me with curiosity while mama deer stalked back and forth in front of them. Perhaps she was waiting to see what I would do or maybe encouraging them to stay hidden or trying to block them from my view. We have a small pond in our yard where she likes to drink. They are regular visitors now that it is so dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment